Discretionary Housing Payments information

A Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) is a payment you could get from your Local Authority if you need extra help with housing costs. This payment is in addition to any Housing Benefit you get.


You may be able to get a Discretionary Housing Payment if your Housing Benefit has been cut because of the 'bedroom tax'.

Who can get a DHP?

To apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment, you must be entitled to Housing Benefit or the Housing Costs element of Universal Credit. You may be able to get a DHP if you are in one of the following groups:

  • Disabled people living in adapted accommodation
  •  People who are moving to a more suitable home
  •  People who are trying to move but can't find a suitable new home
  •  People who can't move straight away because of their health or education
  •  People living in temporary accommodation
  •  Adoptive parents, foster carers and people with caring responsibilities.

How do I apply?

If you would like to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment, you need to contact your local council (you can find your local council here). They will tell you how to apply.

To get information or advice, you could:

When you apply, you should include information about any circumstances that make things difficult for you financially. For example, you might have high heating costs if you spend a lot of time at home because of illness or disability.

After you've applied

After you have applied, your local council will decide whether you can have a DHP and if so, how much you will get. They will send you a letter to tell you about their decision. If you disagree with the decision, you can't appeal against it, but you can ask your council to look at the decision again.

If you've been affected by the 'bedroom tax' and have applied for a Discretionary Housing Payment to help with your extra housing costs, we want to hear from you - please take our survey.