Dance class support volunteer - providing support to adults with learning disabilities
- Sawston, CB22 3EE
- Thursdays 10am – 11:15 am
- Agreed in advance expenses reimbursed
Our ‘Opportunities Without Limits’ (OWL) centre, located in Sawston near Cambridge, works predominantly with adults with learning disabilities to help them gain life, work and leisure skills.Our dance club meets weekly and is exploring the different types of performance (ball room, modern, dramatic). The group meets Thursdays 10am – 11:15 am.The group will be working towards making 1 – 3 different dances as a group to possibly be performed for an audience in January / February.At the moment we just have the tutor running the session and no additional support for those who might require extra explanation or encouragement to full join in.We would like you to provide those clients who need it with additional support to help them to participate activities and get the most out of the session.Key tasks:
- Assist clients with participating in activities set by the session leader.
- Depending on the group size and requirements you may be asked to either support people on a one-to-one basis or help oversee a small group.
- Support clients of varying abilities to complete tasks set by the tutor.
- Inspire customers to do the very best they can with every activity.
- Encourage clients to express themselves and to interact well with others.
- Reassure and support clients to remain safe if they need time away from the group.
- Assist with setting up and packing away at the start and end of the session.
- Your will help people develop their confidence and performance skills.
Personal qualities required:
- Good communication skills - verbal and non-verbal
- Friendly and approachable
- Work well in a team environment
- Able to follow instruction
- Physically able to assist with the dance routines
- Volunteers don’t necessarily need any experience of dance, but a willingness to try and be expressive is required.
Benefits of volunteering:
- Become part of a passionate and supportive team.
- Help make a real difference to the lives of disabled and disadvantaged people.
- Gain new experiences and develop skills and confidence.
- Meet new people.
- Spend your time doing something that is worthwhile and rewarding
- Day to day support from a designated member of staff
- Have fun!
How to apply
Please download and complete the Volunteer Application form and the Diversity and Equality form on the left hand side of this page.
Then email your forms to firstname.lastname@example.org, or post them to: FREEPOST RRXK-CTTT-KELH, Volunteer Co-ordinator, Papworth Trust, Papworth Everard, Cambridgeshire, CB23 3RG
For more information please see our FAQs for volunteers or call the team on 01480 357 292.