- Ipswich, IP4 1BN
- Mondays 9am - 12:30pm / Wednesdays 9am - 12:30pm / 12:30 - 4pm / Thursdays 9am - 12:30 / 12:30 - 4pm
- Agreed in advance expenses reimbursed
Papworth Trust’s centres in Ipswich offer adults with learning disabilities the opportunity to try a range of activities in a fun and friendly atmosphere.
At our Foundation Street centre we offer a programme of stimulating sessions including arts and crafts, music, gardening, woodwork, drama and many more. Our clients also enjoy a variety of activities in and around the town, including swimming, bowling and coffee groups.
We are currently looking for volunteers that can support the centre's reception area to give customers and visitors a warm welcome.
At present our session tutors are having to sit on reception some days rather than planning and preparing for lessons. Your support would enable us to provide the best possible service to our customers, and ensure that everyone visiting and phoning gets a consistent and dedicated service.
The times we are looking for support are:
Mondays 9am - 12:30pm
Wednesdays 9am - 12:30pm and / or 12:30 - 4pm
Thursdays 9am - 12:30pm and / or 12:30 - 4pm
- Greeting customers and visitors
- Answering the telephone and transferring callers to the correct person or taking accurate messages
- Giving out locker keys to customers and checking them back in at the end of the day
- Sign in visitors, notify the member of staff they have come to see, and make the visitor comfortable - for instance by offering them a seat and a drink
- Sorting the mail and distributing to the correct member of staff
- Occasionally the role may involve providing small amounts of administration support to staff such as photocopying, faxing, doing research on the computer, or updating customer records.
- Once experienced you may be asked to support clients to learn about reception duties.
Personal qualities required:
- Friendly and welcoming manner
- Clear and polite on the phone
- Good written English to take and pass on messages
- Be able to manage own time effectively - there will be times where the reception area is quiet
- Happy operating independently at times
- Understand the importance of confidentiality
- Professional appearance
- Professional attitude
- Good computer skills – being able to use the internet, Microsoft Word, and Outlook for email
Benefits of volunteering:
- Become part of a passionate team.
- Help make a real difference to the lives of disabled and disadvantaged people.
- Gain new experiences and develop skills and confidence.
- Meet new people.
- Reimbursement of reasonable travel expenses
- Certificated training provided to prepare you for your role
How to apply:
Please download and complete the Volunteer Application form and the Diversity and Equality form on the left hand side of this page.
Then email your forms to firstname.lastname@example.org, or post them to: FREEPOST RRXK-CTTT-KELH, Volunteer Co-ordinator, Papworth Trust, Papworth Everard, Cambridgeshire, CB23 3RG
For more information please see our FAQs for volunteers or call the team on 01480 357 292.