Where an adult at risk has substantial difficulty in being involved with any safeguarding enquiry - and there is no appropriate individual to support, represent or help with their involvement - then the local authority must arrange for an independent advocate to support and represent the person if they wish.

Where someone lacks the capacity to understand or recognise that they are at risk of abuse or neglect, and has no one appropriate to represent their views, the person will get the support of an Independent Mental Capacity Advocate (IMCA).

Find out more about someone to speak on your behalf